Young Avraham

They finally convinced me. My students asked several times for permission to watch the Young Avraham Animation Film. This would be during class time, naturally. Though I was personally interested in seeing the film, I was rather reluctant to give up class time for it. Trust me, it was worth it.

Avraham's birth


A video captures the heart in a way that it is hard for text to emulate. Videos speak to an emotional level; texts to the intellect. Young Avraham really brings the medrashim to life. We watched the video after learning the material, so the girls' questions were based on the material they had studied. I only wish there was a viewers guide listing the meforshim the film is based on. I would love to use that as my curriculum, then highlight our learning with the final viewing. Alternatively, we could watch and query (as they were) and WRITE DOWN the questions. Then, they should be motivated enough by their own curiosity to research the answers on their own.

Theory aside, there was one scene that moved me most as a mother. Avram managed to escape from Nimrod's soldiers and returned home to his delighted mother. Amthalia encouraged her child to leave. Did you hear that? The mother sent her son away. Sure, he was threatened with death at the moment so there was little other recourse. Still, I was moved by the scene. Picture it: a mother letting go of her child. I struggle with that image.

True, our goal as parents is to form separate beings, individuals who can give of their own strengths and talents to the world. I hope to give my children wings to fly and discover their own truths. Still, ouch! I want to cuddle my babies forever, not let go of them! That takes real courage, Amthalia. You are my role model today. I needed this lesson. Yesterday I picked up my toddler early, just to hang out with him. By day's end, I was rather irritated. I had stacks of preparation and marking to do and the house was messier than usual. Maybe I need to give my little guy some more space. Sigh. The trials of a working mother.

Should the film be a finale or trigger to our learning unit?

Comments

  1. Someone sent me your post. Thank you for this review. If you email me rabbi@jewishmonkland.com I will send you a Midrashic Source Sheet.

    Would love to create a teachers guide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Four More Questions

On a Time Budget

When does today end? The Corona Mothering Life