Choosing a Point of View


They are a good class, a marvelous class. I am so blessed to be their teacher, what a wonderful class they are. You should see their energy - Geshmak! I set them up to learn b'chavrusa and that buzz of learning… its out of this world. The passion and energy with which they debate each other highlights their zest and curiosity. At times, their enthusiasm reaches a crescendo as they break out into song. This class is a real gift. The girls are alive! They care! They have opinions! They are engaged!
What a joy. Thank you, Hashem for the opportunity to teach this special cohort.

OK, you guessed it: I’m out to convince myself. 

Most of my colleagues would describe this group as chatty, impossible, unrestrained, challenging or even dysfunctional. And they are not wrong!

Thing is, my description above was the truth, too. It was the truth through rose-coloured glasses, desperate to see the potential in the problem. 

Dear Hashem, I pray that I may find the strength to view them this way every day. 

They need structure and expectations, that's for sure. They also need compassion and an improved self-image. They are currently very aware of their negative reputation and just continue to be their chatty selves. While I aim to guide them towards success within the framework and expectations of the classroom, I also hope to embed a positive view of them within my psyche and theirs. 

Change comes from the inside out. I'm going to print off my positive description of them and read it to prepare myself before every lesson. Because it is true. They really are good girls. They just don't see it yet.

I wonder if it will work. Do you think I can convince myself of their beauty and embrace the reality?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On a Time Budget

When does today end? The Corona Mothering Life

Four More Questions